Bright Prospect empowers high potential, low-income students to gain admission, succeed and graduate from four-year colleges and universities by providing a comprehensive counseling and support system throughout their high school and college years.
Watch our video: “Bright Prospect – Empowering students to and through college.” from Bright Prospect on Vimeo.
You can change the life of kids in our community!
- The cycle of poverty that pervades too many of our communities erodes the very fabric of our nation. Economic disenfranchisement leads to crime, drugs and dependency—a waste of many smart young students who mistakenly perceive they are trapped in a world without opportunity and give up in despair.
- For youth in poverty-stricken communities, education is the only viable way out. College graduates earn an average of one million dollars more over their lives than high school graduates. That not only provides better lives for them and their families, it also equates to a million dollars of increased economic contribution each college graduate will make to society.
- In America’s low-income schools, only a small fraction of students start college, and of those who do start, only 1 in 9 actually achieves a Bachelor’s Degree within six years.
- In 12 years, Bright Prospect has grown from 12 students to 1,700.
- 99% of our high school students matriculate to college.
- 91% of our college students graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree.
- 25% of our college graduates continue on to an advanced degree.
- Bright Prospect students have graduated from most of the highest-ranked universities in the nation (among them Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and Dartmouth), and 21 of the top 25 liberal arts colleges (among them Amherst, Swarthmore, Bowdoin, Wellesley, Pomona and Williams). Others attend or have graduated from a University of California or California State University campus while a smaller proportion get their start at a community college and then transfer to UC or Cal State.
- The Bright Prospect program is open to all students in the high schools we serve. Wherever our students attend college, Bright Prospect supports them through to graduation.
- We accomplish all of this for an annual cost of less than $1,000 per student per year. This cost-effective program is scalable and we intend to replicate it throughout California and across the nation.